What is S.M.A.R.T. Housing?
S.M.A.R.T. Housing is a program created by the city of Austin to assist students who are either receiving need-based financial aid or who are paying for school through student loans. It is designed to assist those who are working to cover their living expenses. Parental support (money given by parents to cover living expenses) is taken into consideration as income – it is limited and cannot be the only source of income.
How do I qualify through Financial Aid?
If you are currently receiving need-based financial aid, you may automatically qualify. Review your current Financial Aid Award Letter, and compare your grants, scholarships, and loans to the approved need-based Financial Aid list. If you have any items that appear on the list, no matter the amount, then you automatically qualify for S.M.A.R.T. Housing.
How do I qualify through Income Verification?
If you do not qualify based on the need-based Financial Aid List, you can attempt to qualify based on your annual income. Contact the Rio West leasing office for more information on income verification.
How does the leasing process work for S.M.A.R.T. Housing?
- Pre-qualify for S.M.A.R.T. Housing.
- If you are qualifying through Financial Aid, bring your Financial Aid Award letter to the Rio West leasing office.
- If you are qualifying through Income Verification, bring your most recent W2 and your three most recent pay stubs, your Financial Award letter, and your tuition bill to the Rio West leasing office.
- Submit your housing application by clicking ‘APPLY NOW’, pay the applicable upfront fees, and complete the S.M.A.R.T. Housing forms.
- Once your S.M.A.R.T. Housing paperwork is complete, you will be able to sign a Lease Agreement.